You’re The Best, Edmonton

We have been waiting two years to use this graphic.

I mentioned it in today’s Headlines, but we have somehow been voted Edmonton’s Best Local Blog. You probably confused us with “Edmontonians.” We get that all the time.

But, if SEE Magazine doesn’t do a recount, and people out there like the edmontonian enough to cast a vote, I owe everyone who helps creates the edmontonian a big, big thanks.

This website (and TV show) aren’t the Jeff and Sally show. Oh sure, because we edit the blog we get to write as much as we want. But since the edmontonian is an online community newspaper; an interactive, collaborative, community hub, it can’t actually exist as the Jeff and Sally show.

And trust me, without Sally this website would look like I built it in 1996, and then exploded it with ugly. And the TV show would just be me, sitting in a basement, reading newspapers for 30 minutes. So my first thanks goes to co-founder Sally, because she’s the engine of this Edmonton machine.

the edmontonian works because people want to know what’s happening in their city, and want as many different views of Edmonton as possible. Edmonton’s not a post-apocalyptic world of monster potholes, murderers, and libertarians (though we have a few of each), it’s a changing and growing city, a vibrant city with a thriving arts scene (and an amazing music scene), smart people, and great neighbours.

On behalf of Sally Poulsen, I thank you for being a part of our world for two years (one month ’til birthday!).

The real winner for Best Local Blog is our never-ending team of contributors, helpers, idea-providers, photo and video-sharers, advertisers, prize-providers, and the audience. Even if you aren’t leaving comments on every single post, or you’ve never contributed, thanks for being a part of the Edmonton conversation. That includes a couple of the bloggers we were nominated alongside: Dave Cournoyer and Mack D. Male. (A big shout-out to David Climenhaga and Ken Chapman for their nominations too.)

Also, it’s great that SEE added the blog category this year. There’s lots of room to add food blogs and podcasts, which is just another testament to Edmonton’s exciting online community.

– Jeff Samsonow

16 Responses to “You’re The Best, Edmonton”

1. lainie says:

great graphic!!!

2. Leah says:

Fer cryin’ out loud. I clicked the wedding dress link and am now blind. The last thing I’ll ever have seen is Yvette’s Wedding Dress Emporium (or whatever it’s called). I hope you’re happy.

3. Jeff says:

We take no responsibility for eyeballs that may be exploded by terrible websites we link to as a joke.

4. Adam Snider says:

1. Great graphic. 1996 forever!

2. Congrats!

3. Looking at some of the other categories is hilarious. I love the Mandel was simultaneously voted both the best and worst civic politician. The fact that the best and worst uses of public money are identical, but in a different order is also amusing, but those 5 things may have been the only options.

5. Gregg says:

Congrats guys! I’ve lit fireworks inside my office in your honor…now I think I’m going to run…

6. Jibril says:

If anyone wants to shed some tears in honour of this awesome achievement but can’t for some odd reason…just let me know and i’ll do my best to shed enough for everybody.

7. Jeff says:

Are you crying?

Are you crying?! ARE YOU CRYING?!

There’s no crying.

There’s no crying in blogging!

8. Paul says:

Great job on that first place finish and I don’t want to take anything away from the accomplishment but how the hell did Samsonow get shut out of the Sexiest Local Celebrity?

9. Jeff says:

Next year I’ll show more cleavage.

10. Derjis says:

Kuhdoooz to you two crazy kids (and you crazy assorted-contributors-and-general-hangers-on)! And kuhdoooz to you too, person reading this comment (whoever you are)! They couldn’t have done it without YOU! *points at his computer screen for some reason*

11. Leah says:

I, for one, think more cleavage is in order. It’ll be like your 2nd birthday gift to all of us, right? Oh wait. Hairy man cleavage isn’t a gift. Gah! I’m so conflicted over here. I think it’s the ugly website hangover talking.

12. sally says:

we’ll need to orchestrate a sex scandal next year, so people remember to look at samsonow as a piece of meat.

13. Adam Snider says:

Just make sure to include an author photo with every post. Jeff’s photo can be him showing off his man-cleavage. Since Jeff writes most of the posts, this image will be burned into people’s minds and he will surely win “sexiest local celeb” next year.

14. Mack D. Male says:

I demand a recount!!! Just kidding. Well done Jeff & Sally! You guys rock – keep it up!

15. Jeff says:

Thanks Mack.

We’ll vote for you even more next year!