We’ve Had A Good Time

Dearest Edmonton,

Sally and I have had an amazing time here at the edmontonian. The last two-and-a-half-years have been full of good people, good ideas, fun, and Edmonton. So much Edmonton.

But, we are fulfilling that prophecy that all good things must end. Friday, September 9 will be the last day for the edmontonian.

Don’t worry – this is not a sad decision for us – so don’t you dare be sad! :D We have had a great time editing the edmontonian, and getting to know you guys, meeting interesting and energetic business owners and artists, sharing your stories, contributions, and conversation. We’ve met so many people, a lot of them in real life too, and worked with some inspiring Edmontonians. That never would have happened without the edmontonian.

Our heads are bursting with ideas and schemes (seriously, call the head hospital!) and this will let us make space for new things to come our way. We’re confident many of our contributors, collaborators, and commenters are also just beginning to make their mark, and we can’t wait to see new projects, hijinks and plans Edmonton is home to.

We’ll be looking back over the next couple of weeks, and invite you to do the same in any posts, photos, videos, Microsoft Paint work, and spoken-word poetry, you see fit.

Your contributions, as always, are most welcome.

Jeff and Sally

41 Responses to “We’ve Had A Good Time”

1. sally says:

finally! now i’ll have time to develop my one woman show.

2. D says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

3. Jay Runham says:

But, but, but…
    Who will post my random Edmonton Chicken pictures now?

Who?!

Also, I’m looking forward to whatever you guys do next.

4. Colin says:

Seriously, how many web sites/blogs/podcasts did you guys inspire? You can count the Long John Index as one. You folks Pioneered Edmonton’s Internet and Social Media scene. Enjoy all the accolades and well wishes. You guys deserve it!

5. Jill says:

NOOOOOOOOO! Where will I get my news? Are you saying I now have to read EVERY paper’s top stories INDIVIDUALLY? That’s just cruel.

6. Derjis says:

Great, what am I supposed to do now…? Where else in the internets can I go to post angry, argumentative comments?!?

7. bingofuel says:

This is a sad day for Edmonton… Seriously, you guys helped to tell the City’s untold stories. Now I guess it falls to Bieber fans and politicians *shudder*

8. Jeff says:

All of the stories, Jill, not just the top ones. :)

But you don’t have to worry about that until September 12.

9. Jeff says:

Jay, your Tumblr is kicking more ass than our occasional giant chicken photo. http://jayrunham.tumblr.com/

Colin, I could not be happier that we hosted your Long John Index post. That is an online media source worth following. And I hope to RT as best I can to make it a staple of Canadian winters.

Derjis, you need to get yourself a Blogspot and fill it with anger. Or just troll on Twitter.

Adam and D, stop being sad. You are going to make me cry!!

Adam, The Unknown Studio is among Edmonton’s online and social media content producers that tell stories not seen every day in the news, and that’s what we will continue to endorse and support.

10. Derjis says:

p.s. Blogspot? What is it, 2008 up in here? And Twitter is out, too; I’ve officially “Tweetired”.
    *crosses arms and pouts*

11. Sam says:

This is the end? But what about the awkward good-bye party, with cake?

12. sally says:

i want that photo on my tombstone, sprongfeld.

13. Jeff says:

It is indeed the end. And I think someone just offered to bake us a cake. ;)

14. Colin says:

as citizens mourn, a city asks: why now? AND Whats NEXT??

15. Michael Janz says:

After party at Gord Lacey’s house?

16. Jeff says:

Just don’t tell Gord. :P

17. Karen Unland says:

Not only has this blog been been an excellent chronicle of what goes on in Edmonton, but, as Colin says, you have inspired so many to create their own media. Me included. Thank you for being models of intelligence, cleverness, generosity and hard work.

Mainstream media folk will miss you, too. You sent a lot of traffic their way, I’ll wager, and you performed a valuable compare-and-contrast that I always found useful.

I hope you enjoy the well-deserved kudos and the outpouring of grief. It’s a bit like getting to attend your own funeral, with the bonus of not being dead. May this torrent of praise fuel your next adventures.

18. Carol Neuman says:

You know you are still contractually obligated to be awesome, right? [I have lawyers. They tell me it’s true.]

Can’t wait to see what your next project will be!

19. daveberta says:

So sad to hear about this, Sally & Jeff. You guys have done some great work with this site over the past few years. I’ll definitely miss it and I am looking forward to seeing what you guys are up to next!
    Good Luck!
    – Dave

20. Adam Snider says:

This is like when Batman left Gotham: bad news for everyone who’s not a supervillain. I will miss your local news roundups and smart-assery.

21. Jeff says:

Thank you, thank you, and thank you.

Colin and Karen, we think you are confusing us with some other guys. But, if you are not, we accept your high praise since we think the world of your opinions. And we are excited to see what YOU come up with next (because we know you’re both making things happen – http://brainalbum.tumblr.com/post/9550255234/edmonton-new-media-roundup-15 / http://longjohnindex.ca/) And we’d point to Mack (http://blog.mastermaq.ca/) and Dave (http://daveberta.ca/) as Edmonton’s online media pioneers.

Carol, you’ll be hearing from our lawyers! (Which is just me wearing a fake moustache.)

p.s. smart-assery is high on our list of new projects.

22. Gregg says:

But, but…how will I force Edmonton to listen to my rants about January Jones’ inability to act? Why is no one thinking about ME in all this?!

But seriously, good luck with whatever new projects your are scheming. A strip club on Whyte Ave., perhaps? You could call it the edmonBONEian…oh, come on, that was gold.

All good things…

23. Marilyn says:

Wow! I’m off twitter for a day and I miss so much! I am going to miss this site a lot (who is going to tell me what news stories to read now?!), but I know you guys will have more exciting projects in the future.

Thanks, Jeff & Sally, for celebrating Edmonton, bringing like-minded people together, and for just being awesome.

24. Jessica says:

So, um….I’m not sure who to send my photos of random, abandoned shopping carts to now.

25. Dammit, and I just recommended your blog to another new Edmontonian, too. So sad.

Who’s going to pick up the torch? Surely one of you is interested! We need a blog like this.

26. Lisa says:

Sad. Always enjoyed your blog. Best of luck onwards and upwards!

27. Archie McLean says:

Sigh. The blog will be missed — but good luck with those new ideas and schemes!

28. Jas Darrah says:

Thanks for cranking up the media coverage of this thing called Edmonton! Great foundation for others to build on, and a platform for your next gig – we wait with eager anticipation.
    Cheers and good luck!

29. Susan B says:

Bummed! I read you every morning. Good luck!

30. Paula Simons says:

I will miss you – I always considered it a great honour to be “mentioned in dispatches” as it were. Good luck with your next venture(s).

31. bart says:

This is a sad day. Ever since I moved to Edmonton in 2009 I have used this website for updates on what is happening in the city as well as news in general.

You two have done an impeccable job of sharing news and stories about Edmonton. Your blog got me out of my house numerous times to experience various events in Edmonton that I normally would have missed. You will be missed!!

32. Jeff says:

Jessica, I still want your shopping cart photos.

Idealistic, there are lots of great Edmonton voices online, including Mack, The Unknown Studio and folks on Twitter. Plus, all of us edmontonians (from editors to contributors) will still be around.

Marilyn, Lisa, Archie, Jas, and Susan, thank you! We know there’s lots yet to come in Edmonton’s online media world, and are happy to have helped embrace and showcase the good happening here and the good people that know Edmonton is already a top-notch place to live and work.

Paula, thanks! You are actually one of the human journalists I mention in today’s Headlines. :) We need more voices in news media, to truly share stories and create community.

Bart, you are going to make me cry! I appreciate your kind words though.

33. Ian says:

Very sorry to read the edmontonian is coming to an end. As a (soon-to-return) expat Edmontonian, this has been a great space to catch up on what’s happening at home. Thanks, guys!

34. Adam says:

This is sad news. This is, easily, my favorite place to come and get an accurate snapshot of the city I love, written by people who clearly love it too.

Thanks for so much good work. I’m sure you’ve been awesome since well before 2009.

35. Jeff says:

More than happy to have helped, Ian. We recommend Mastermaq (and his Tumblr http://edmontonetc.ca), The Unknown Studio, and Twitter hashtags with #yeg to stay on top of things back here.

Adam, we do indeed have a love for Edmonton, and hope we helped shine just a little light on the good that’s happening here. If people embrace what we’ve got, and try to make the best out of things they’re not all that keen on, Edmonton will only get better and better.

Also, it was scientifcally proven that we only became awesome in early 2010.

36. Adam Snider says:

Also, it was scientifcally proven that we only became awesome in early 2010.

You mean, all this time, your slogan has been lying to us?!

37. Jeff says:

No, er, I mean we have the science to back it up.

*runs away before any more questions can be asked*

38. Marissa says:

It’s because I moved to Toronto right? Ah crap. Now I am going to be so lost on my Edmonton news.

Thanks for a brilliant ride and the free movie tickets.

M

39. Jeff says:

Don’t blame yourself, Marissa! It’s not you, it’s us.

I think some strategic Twitter searching will keep you updated on all the latest goings-on here in Edmonton.

Thanks for sticking with us, even outside of Edmonton!