Goodbye for Now – Thanking You Since 2009

Well, here we are, Edmonton. Time to shut off the lights and close down the joint.

Two or so years ago, if you had told either of us that we’d reach this point – 1500+ posts, a 6 part TV series, a variety of live webcasts, a fancy pants best blog award and the funniest, smartest, best-looking audience in the city – we’d have called you crazy. And not just because we lacked a basic understanding of the INTERNETS (the files are IN the computer?).

the edmontonian has come farther than we ever thought it could, and honest to God, no one is more surprised by that than we are. So we’d like to take this last minute to thank you guys, truly, and from the bottom of our hearts, for welcoming us into your lives for the last 2+ years. Whether you were writing or reading, talking or listening, commenting or contributing – every time you guys took a chance and got involved, trusting us with your stories, your submissions or your attention, we marveled. We marveled that for some reason, in this metal box full of lol cats and juggalos, you chose to talk to us.  There is no greater compliment, and we have been humbled by it every single day.

As you may know (we talked about this with our friends at the Unknown Studio), we didn’t start out as Edmonton enthusiasts. In fact, neither of us were particularly thrilled to find ourselves living in the City of Champions, but we decided to make the best of it and kill some time by starting a website. And two years later, here we are.

That is likely the biggest thing we’ve learned from the edmontonian: that when you stop trying desperately to get somewhere else, and you show up to what’s really happening right here, right now – magic happens. Every time, without fail.

You get one life, guys. Let’s make a joint agreement that we won’t spend it waiting for the perfect moment, the perfect bank balance, the perfect job opportunity, the perfect weight, the perfect education, the perfect someone. Figure out what matters to you and go get it – not as a means to get somewhere else, but for its own sake; because you love it so much it keeps you awake at night. That’s all we ever did, nothing more – and it turned out pretty well for us.

So let us dedicate the last two years to all of you guys – for your ideas, your kindness, your generosity, and more than anything, for giving us a reason to show up right here, every day. There are no words to ever sufficiently express our appreciation, our respect, our love. If the edmontonian was ever anything special, it was only because of you.

Until we meet again!

Your friends,

Jeff and Sally

9 Responses to “Goodbye for Now – Thanking You Since 2009”

1. Linda says:

Farewell!

I love the edmontonian. Thanks to you both for bringing into the lives of Edmontonians :)

2. Jill says:

I can’t believe I have to find my own news. Thank YOU, Jeff and Sally, for the amazing public service you’ve provided for yeggers like me over the last couple years. We’ll miss you.

3. Marilyn says:

Dammit! This one totally made me tear up. Thanks for the ride & the inspiration.

4. J Bardyla says:

Damn. I just got on board and was happy to have a nice little cup of Edmonton in my Twitter feed each day. This was brilliant and now I feel like I have to start over again, heartbroken and alone.

Clearly, you did not think of the children.

5. Paul says:

I think you are both far too quick to share the credit with visitors and contributors.

Admittedly, yes, there were many fabulous pieces by many talented, passionate people but at the end of the day, the overwhelming bulk of the credit needs to go to Jeff and Sally. I’m sure that dealing with a bunch of yahoos like us day-in and day-out must be similar to herding cats and if any of us had to do it for any amount of time, we’d end up jumping off the High Level Bridge.

You both consistently provided your audience with an excellent experience, regardless of the package in which the message was delivered. Blog, social media, TV, streamy-election-night-stuff, you name it.

Jeff and Sally have become synonymous with dedication, talent, and class. Thank you so much for giving the internet the gift that was the edmontonian and I can’t tell you how excited I am for your next endeavour, whatever that may be.

6. bingofuel says:

So long, Jeff and Sally! Thanks for making the last 2 years so much fun. Looking forward to seeing the next project. <3

7. Adam Snider says:

I love the idea that this blog started out a little something like this:

Jeff: Edmonton sucks.

Sally: Totally.

Jeff: We should start a local news blog.

Sally: Totally.

Several months later…

Sally: Edmonton is awesome!

Jeff: Totally.

Anyway, thanks so much to both of you for being my local news outlet of choice (no, seriously). You didn’t just inform and entertain, you created a community. I’ll miss it, but I look forward to whatever couch-napping-giant-pancake projects you guys will come up with next.

8. Evan says:

All I can think of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKtBPC9dXms

For all you REAL sci-fi geeks out there, you know what this is.

9. Gregg says:

Coming this fall…they thought they could build their own new couch. They wanted to play God. They didn’t know that science and upholstery don’t mix and now they’re fighting for their lives against army of undead furniture!

Jeff Samsonow! Sally Poulsen!

The Walking Chesterfield